About the job
In response to increased demand for our open pit and underground mining services, AMC Consultants is looking for Senior Mining Engineers based in Brisbane to work in our Brisbane office.
You’ll be a good fit for this job if you value the input of your peers, you seek to stay abreast of industry trends, and you enjoy interacting with colleagues, whether that’s across town, in the outback, or on the other side of the world. Work is mainly based in Brisbane with assignments to local and global mines.
But before you send your resume off to us, we want to be sure that you’ll like working with us.
A bit about us
We’ve been in the business of mining for 35 years, so we know what we are talking about. Our consultants are recognized leaders in their fields. Whether you are designing a major block cave mine, optimising the life of mine plan in a feasibility study or reviewing factors for a multimillion-ounce gold reserve assessment, you’ll understand just how important it is to have expert experience available to you down the corridor or on video link to help you build your knowledge and career.
We operate worldwide, with offices in major mining and financial centres. We have completed more than 8,000 assignments for major mining companies and financial institutions in more than 100 countries on six continents dealing with more than 60 types of commodities. When a client has a problem, chances are we’ve not only seen it before but have also unearthed a smarter way to solve it.
AMC is an employee owned company so you can share in our success via a bonus scheme and share ownership.
How we are different
Our unique passion for unearthing a smarter way to mine is one of the things that sets the global AMC team apart. Our people understand both the art and science of mining and won’t avoid the reality of the challenge.
We are mining for the long haul and work hard to help our consultants build a long-term career at AMC. We strive to recruit and retain the best of the best to work alongside some of the most highly regarded technical professionals in the industry. Mentoring and developing our people is a fundamental part or our work.
Work life balance is a priority at AMC, so we encourage flexible working arrangements to ensure you have what you need to help you thrive as part of our team.
AMC is an equal opportunities employer that encourages qualified applicants to apply for their positions. AMC is committed to providing equal opportunities, and a work environment which is inclusive of all employees.
Who you will be working with and reporting to:
Tim Mortimer is the Underground Manager and a Principal Mining Engineer with over 30 years’ experience in medium to large scale underground metals, surface coal and open pit hard rock mining operations across Australia.
Howard Simpson is the Open Pit Manager and a Principal Mining Consultant with over 35 years’ experience in large scale open pit metals, mineral sand dredger operations, in-pit crushing and conveyor systems, surface coal and open pit hard rock mining operations across Australia, South Africa, United Kingdom, Botswana, Zimbabwe, Brazil and Saudi Arabia.
Rob Chesher is the General Manager Brisbane and a Principal Consultant with skills in metallurgy and corporate consulting. Rob has been with AMC for seven years and the manager of the Brisbane office for five. Rob will oversee your technical progress and manage your development within the organisation.
Now a bit more information about the role
Specialist skills required:
- Experience in a range of mining methods encompassing most aspects of open pit and or underground mine engineering.
- Experience with a range of planning and operational practices.
- Project management skills, contractor management or experience.
- An understanding of Mineral Reserve estimation and auditing.
- Expert user of mine planning and scheduling software packages, especially Deswick.
- Proficient user in Datamine, Mine 2-4D, and Mineable Shape Optimizer.
- Surface mining experience, operations, pit optimisation, design and scheduling. (Whittle, Mine Max, Mine Scheduling and Deswick packages).
- High level of excel skills, macro and script writing.
- The ability to write concise informative reports and presentations in English.
- Experience in cost estimation including capital costs, operating costs, across a wide range of mining activities and support services.
- Strong technical, leadership, and problem-solving skills.
- Experience in sub level caving, or block caving is highly regarded.
- Demonstrated lateral and unconstrained thinking skills.
- Good interpersonal, communication, and report writing skills.
- Experience mentoring less experienced engineers.
- Experience in or an inclination for business development.
- Experience in both underground and surface mining would be beneficial.
- Experience in due diligence activities would be beneficial.
- A degree in mining engineering with 5 to 15 years’ experience relevant to the responsibilities listed above.
- Registered as an RPEQ or be eligible to apply for registration.
- Member of the AusIMM or be eligible to apply for registration.
The salary package offered for this position will be commensurate with the skills and experience of the successful candidate.
How to apply
If you are interested in applying for the role, please click “apply now”. Please only apply if you have the right to work and live in Australia. You will receive an email within 24 hours confirming receipt of your resume.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.
Not ready to apply just yet, or not quite the right role?
We’d still love you to follow our company page on LinkedIn, Facebook, and Twitter and subscribe to our newsletter to stay up to date on all things AMC!