About the job
In response to the increased demand for our geotechnical services, AMC Consultants is looking for a Senior or Principal Geotechnical Engineer to work in our Maidenhead (UK) office.
Your technical and operational expertise will be applied to a range of technical studies and consulting assignments across multiple commodities and sites, working for clients both domestically and internationally.
Consulting activities will be geographically distributed, with a focus on Africa, Europe, and Western and Central Asia. The Senior or Principal Geotechnical Engineer will consequently need to be capable of interacting with clients and projects in a diverse range of technical and cultural jurisdictions. Project and business development work will require travel away from the UK office, potentially for extended periods of time.
Essential to this position is an ability to attract and generate consulting opportunities, individually and for others within AMC. Business development is a key component of the role and all members of the team are expected to participate. It is expected that the suitable candidate with have a network of contacts and familiarity with the countries and regions where AMC (UK) operates.
A bit about us
AMC has been in the business of mining for 35 years. Our consultants are recognized leaders in their fields.
We operate worldwide, with offices in most major mining and financial centres. We have completed more than 8,000 assignments for major mining companies and financial institutions in more than 100 countries on six continents, dealing with more than 60 types of commodities. When a client has a challenge, chances are we’ve not only seen it before but have also unearthed a smarter way to solve it.
How we are different
Our unique passion for unearthing a smarter way to mine is one of the things that sets the global AMC team apart. Our people understand both the art and science of mining, and won’t avoid the reality of the challenge.
We are mining for the long haul and work hard to help our consultants build a long-term career at AMC. We strive to recruit and retain the best of the best to work alongside some of the most highly regarded technical professionals in the industry.
AMC is an Equal Opportunity employer that encourages all qualified applicants to apply for their positions. AMC is committed to providing equal opportunities, and a work environment that is inclusive of all employees.
Who you will be working with and reporting to
Ellen Morton is the Geotechnical Manager and Principal Consultant for the UK office. She has almost 20 years of experience in the mining industry mainly as an underground Geotechnical Engineer.
Anthony de Veth is the General Manager, Maidenhead (UK) and a Principal Mining Consultant, with skills in geotechnical and mining engineering. Anthony has been with AMC for more than 12 years in both the Melbourne (Australia) and Maidenhead (UK) offices. Anthony will oversee your technical progress and development. Outside of work Anthony has a passion for travel. He is a keen supporter of AFL team Sydney and also follows most forms of motor sport.
Now a bit more information about the role
Specialist skills required:
- Experience as a mine-site Geotechnical Engineer in underground or open-pit environments—underground is preferred.
- Business development capability.
- Demonstrated expertise in range of rock/soil mechanics problems and mining geotechnical engineering practices. Expertise in a range of mining methods is also preferred.
- High level of proficiency in a geotechnical software packages e.g. DIPS, Slide, Unwedge, Phases, Map3D, etc.
- High level of proficiency in a mine-planning software package e.g. Datamine, Surpac, or Vulcan etc.
- Demonstrated ability in technical writing for reporting and communication.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with a variety of stakeholders including clients, senior management, technical professionals, and operational personnel.
- Demonstrated understanding of, and commitment to, safety.
- Experience in technical consulting and project management would be highly desirable.
- Tertiary qualified geological, mine, or civil engineer, or other related mining discipline with relevant experience.
- Minimum of 10 years of experience in the mining industry.
- Fluent in English—spoken and written. Secondary language skills will be viewed favourably.
- Membership of an industry-recognized professional organization.
- Applicant must have the established right to work in the UK.
The salary package offered for this position will be commensurate with the skills and experience of the successful candidate.
How to apply
If you are interested in applying for the role please click “Apply now”. Please only apply if you have the right to work and live in the country where the role is located. You will receive an email within 24 hours confirming receipt of your resume.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.
Not ready to apply just yet, or not quite the right role?